It is becoming ever more important that companies make data-driven decisions
With big data
and data science
on the rise, we have more data than we know what to do with.
One of the basic languages of data analytics
is SQL, which is used for many popular databases including MySQL
, Microsoft SQL Server
, and even big data solutions like Hive
I’m going to let you in on a little secret. Most high-level marketers and product managers at big tech companies know how to manipulate data to gain important insights. No longer do you have to wait around the entire day for some software engineer to answer your questions - now you can find the answers directly, by yourself, using SQL!
In this course, SQL for marketers
, we'll start from the basics - installing SQL onto your Mac, Linux, or Windows machine and explaining what a relational database is. Next, we'll look at basic tasks like creating tables and loading data into those tables. We will look at a wide variety of SQL commands and I will show you how to speed things up using indexes
Once you know all the SQL commands we will start doing advanced examples - answering questions marketers and business people often have, like where are customers dropping off in our sales funnel
? And which of our locations has the highest revenue
In the last section, we'll do Advanced SQL queries on Spark
, the big data framework that is the successor to MapReduce
and also runs on top of Hadoop
. I will teach you how to install Spark, create a cluster very quickly on Amazon EC2
, and run SQL queries, allowing you to apply everything you learned up until this point in a big data environment.
Do you want to know how to optimize your sales funnel using SQL, look at the seasonal trends in your industry, and run a SQL query on Hadoop? Then join me now in my new class, SQL for marketers! Dominate data analytics, data science, and big data!
- You should you how to open a terminal / command line shell. All the examples will be done here.
Tips for success:
- Use the video speed changer! Personally, I like to watch at 2x.
- Take handwritten notes. This will drastically increase your ability to retain the information.
- Ask lots of questions on the discussion board. The more the better!
- Don't get discouraged if you can't solve every exercise right away. Sometimes it'll take hours, days, or maybe weeks!
- Write code yourself, this is an applied course! Don't be a "couch potato".